06 October 2008

The Demise of Grammar and Spelling As We Know It

I believe that computer lingo and text messaging are slowly lowering younger generations' IQ levels as well as their ability to use proper grammar and correct spelling. Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I like to use my fair amount of omfg, rofl, lmao and brbs, but only while speaking. There's something hilarious about speaking in acronyms, but it's all in good fun and I'm funny, so it works. It doesn't work so much on the computer or through text bc when u write like this it looks like u cant talk on a nrml level with respectable ppl. Gosh, I'm fuming here and that wasn't even an entire sentence worth of garbage. But I had to prove my point. It looks stupid, thus making you look equally dumb.

I saw an über-absurd, absolutely ridiculous article before in the Facebook group "Yes: I will judge you based on your spelling, grammar, and punctuation" –written by an effing (once again, acceptable because I'm awesome) professor– regarding why the oft-misspelled words should be accepted in the forms that are incorrect. Seriously, it's depressing, and if you'd like to be infuriated as much as I was, please click here to check it out.

I'm convinced that if we got to use more than 180 characters, people would submit essays through text messaging. Barfaroni.

Also, check out this video because it's awesome and it's about spelling. Until next time...
cya & ttyl


No comments: