02 January 2009

To the holier-than-thou-'indie'-loving-film-fanatic:

(Disclaimer: Before I get reamed for what I'm about to say, I'm not saying any films that I mention in this post are bad movies –I actually quite like many of them– and that everyone who has these as favorites apply to this rant, but there are a lot of people who hate on mainstream Hollywood and say these are their favorite movies with the sole intention to be trendy and sophisticated and in-the-know about all things great film).

I am very tired of the holier-than-thou-'indie'-loving-film-fanatic. And this includes those people who claim they have the most cred opinions because their favorite 'films' are Garden State and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I was on a message board about the movie Marley & Me (which I saw yesterday and very much enjoyed) and some people really just need to get rid of their superiority complexes and stop being so snobbish about how "Hollywood is ruining cinema." Get real. In all honesty, I try to watch movies of all kinds (mainstream and indie flicks alike) and it's actually extremely rare that I do not enjoy any movie, regardless of the content (okay, I'll say that I would never watch Meet the Spartans or The Hottie & the Nottie, and although they're not supposed to be deep and meaningful, they very well could be entertaining; just not my thing and I know that before hating on them and talking shit about people who actually do find entertainment in them).

Certain genres may not be your thing and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but for the aforementioned holier-than-thou-'indie'-loving-film-fanatic, please, spare us your rants about how Hollywood is "about [making] stupid movies like this one.. or Hollywood comedies in general. They're worth nothing, they're all the same, all just to make money, the people who watch this poor scripted flicks often just wanna see their favorite celebrities or are afraid of looking for something deep." Go enjoy [insert any Christopher Guest, Wes Anderson or Quentin Tarantino film here] and stop forcing your 100% incredibly close-minded opinions on everyone else.

Hollywood is for entertainment. Movies are made to entertain and to allow for an escape. They're fake (albeit based on fact once in a while) and don't have to be realistic. Can we finally just stop all the snobbery? It's old.

No comments: